Thursday, August 15, 2013

How It All Started

Thirty-nine years ago this past June, I graduated from college with a degree in Special Education. This degree entitled me to teach identified special education students from kindergarten through high school. This was not a field I went into without prior knowledge, having volunteered for the Washington Association for Retarded Citizens (now known as ARC) in their summer camp program and in the Special Olympics, and after completing three years working in a group home for children and young adults with disabilities.
Me at the end of student teaching. June, 1974
Having just finished a three month practicum in early childhood special education, and a three month student teaching in an elementary school for children with more significant disabilities, I was anxious to begin my adult life as a teacher in this field.

As I now begin my final year in education, I want to look back over the years and share insights, funny stories, highlights, things I've learned, and things I wished I'd learned earlier then I did! I hope you will join me on this year long journey!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I am one who is most definitely looking forward to reading your words of experience and wisdom! I will cherish this year of work (hopefully with you!!!!) as you are ending your career. What a blessing I've known you to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Kim! I love working in Central Valley and working with you!

    ReplyDelete